PMON2000 is one of the most capable and feature rich embedded system firmwares available. Its emphasis is on portability while providing a rich selection of features. And it's Open Source.
Some of the features included are:
- Written in ANSI C.
- BSD Licensed.
- Built in debugger.
- Software development kit, SDK, for PMON2000 application programming.
- USB 2.0 Mass Storage support, PnP capable.
- Supports FAT32 file systems.
- Support booting from FLASH, mass storage and network.
- Optional built in TFTP server supports file upload to target system.
- and much more...
PMON2000 is not only a boot program. It also handles initialization of the hardware such as memory controllers, buses, devices etc. One of the tasks PMON2000 will handle is initialization of PCI boards with BIOS POST initialization code. The optional built in X86 emulator can initialize graphics adapters using the on board BIOS. Thus no special driver, usally available under NDA from the chip vendor is needed. The built in debugger will help You to get the application and OS software to run in shorter time, debugging from the very first instruction!
Currently PMON2000 runs on ARM, MIPS and PowerPC based systems and board support packages, BSPs, are available for a large number of boards.